Medicare Timeline

At Clear Medicare Inc., we diligently work to make your Medicare experience as seamless as possible. The process is multi-level and we want you to be informed all along the way. The following steps lay out the process, depending upon your individual circumstances. Please call us with any questions that you may have. You will receive a response within 24 to 48 hours.

Just turning 65 and New to Medicare

  • Your effective date (when the policy begins) will be the first day of your birthday month.
  • You will need to sign up online for Medicare Part “A” (covers your hospitalization) and Part “B” (covers 80% of our outpatient)
  • This can be done online and 3 months before your 65th birthday.
  • We will submit your supplement application with the appropriate company. You should receive information regarding your coverage in the mail the month before your effective date.
  • You will also need to sign up for a Part “D” Drug Card at www.Medicare.gov
  • SWMedicare also offers reasonable dental and vision coverage as well as Short-Term Homecare policies. Your agent can give you the details on these.

New to Medicare after the age of 65

  • If you haven’t already done so, you need to sign up for Medicare Part “A”
  • Medicare wants to know that you have had credible medical coverage during the gap of age 65 to now. Therefore, you will need to have someone in your Human Resources office at your place of work fill out the REQUEST FOR EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION in this folder.
  • If married and your spouse will be going on Medicare for the first time as well, you will need separate copies for him/her.
  • You will also need to complete APPLICATION FOR ENROLLMENT IN MEDICARE PART B (MEDICAL INSURANCE) in this folder for you and/or spouse.
  • Upon completion, you will need to take these forms to your local Social Security Office (list enclosed) in an envelope with your name and social security number(s) on the envelope.
  • Upon arrival, you will be required to go through their metal detector (much like the airport). There will be a box in the lobby where you can deposit the envelopes. It can take up to 30 to 60 days for your Part B to be in place.
  • Medicare Part “A” covers your hospitalization. Part “B” covers 80% of outpatient costs. Your supplement will cover the remaining 20%.
  • We will submit your supplement application with the appropriate company. You should receive information regarding your coverage in the mail the month before your effective date.
  • Your effective date (when the policy begins) will be the first day of your birthday month.
  • You will also need to sign up for a Part “D” Drug Card at www.Medicare.gov
  • SWMedicare also offers reasonable dental and vision coverage as well as Short-Term Homecare policies. Your agent can give you the details on these.

Currently on Medicare and Changing Supplement Plans for a Lower Cost and/or Better Benefits

  • Your effective date (when the policy begins) will be the first day of the following month (or the subsequent month if the application was submitted later in the applying month.)
  • We will submit your supplement application with the appropriate company. You should receive information regarding your coverage in the mail the month before your effective date.
  • Your Clear Medicare Inc. agent will notify you when your policy has been approved.
  • Upon approval of your supplement, you will need to either call your current supplement company or fax (see enclosed form) a copy to them stating that you would like your current coverage to end as of your effective date. Faxing can be beneficial as you will have proof of the request.
  • SWMedicare also offers reasonable dental and vision coverage as well as Short-Term Homecare policies. Your agent can give you the details on these.

ADDITIONALLY

Your Part “B” premium is based on your Adjusted Gross Income (combined if married) from 2 years prior to your initial Medicare coverage. If you have had what Medicare considers a Life-Changing Event (loss of income due to, job loss by retirement or other means, death of a spouse, some other event that impacts your income) then you can appeal to Social Security for a reconsideration of that Part “B” cost.

Enclosed is a form from Social Security that shows the levels of income and the impact on your Part “B” premium. Please discuss any need for reconsideration with your agent for further details.